Go Deep with Advanced Search
To access Advanced Search, start typing your search terms and then select when it appears on the right of the page.
Next to "site or domain", type one of these top-level domains (TLDs):
Or you can type your country's domain (e.g. Angola is .ao, Ghana is .gh)
Notes regarding language:
- You will find websites in the native and working languages of the country, which may or may not include English.
- Use Google Translate to translate websites BUT know that the translation will be quite imperfect, with errors.
Here are a few websites that contain detailed country information:
- BBC News Country Profiles: Short guides to the history, politics, and economic background of countries and territories, as well as links to recent BBC news stories on that region.
- CIA World Factbook: Contains key data including facts about a country's population, economics, GDP growth rate, government, environment, etc. Information is updated regularly by researchers at the Central Intelligence Agency.
- Country Background Notes: From the U.S. Department of State. Basic country information and overviews of geography, history and government, people and economy.
- Data USA: Data USA puts public US Government data in your hands. Instead of searching through multiple data sources that are often incomplete and difficult to access, you can simply point to Data USA to answer your questions.
- OxFam America: Oxfam is a global organization working to right the wrongs of poverty, hunger and injustice. You can find a variety resources on various countries on this website.
- World Bank: The World Bank is working to help reduce global poverty. They provide an open access data repository that includes the ability to download key data, compare indicators be between countries, generate charts/graphs, and global economic forecasts.
- United Nations (UN): The UN is focused on promoting world peace. The UN's Charter provides for the ability to take action on the issues confronting humanity in the 21st century, such as peace and security, climate change, sustainable development, human rights, disarmament, terrorism, humanitarian and health emergencies, gender equality, governance, food production, and more. They have a variety of resources on their website available for students.
- UN Data Country Information: Locate statistical information gathered and published by the United Nations for a particular country, including summary statistics, economic indicators, social indicators, and measurements relating to the environment.